I find it so difficult to narrow down what are my favourite things. In fact sometimes I feel slightly embarrassed of what they actually are, but that won't prevent me for spilling the beans so without further ado here it is!
1. Favourite Place: London. London has been my home for 20 years and I spent 2 years in Trinidad, from that experience I learned that home is definitely where your heart cries for!
2. Favourite children’s book: Lola Rose by Jacqueline Wilson, growing up I was a huge Jacqueline Wilson fan, so much so when she came to my primary school in 2001 I was chosen to ask her a question and I got her current book at the time Dustbin Baby signed also! Even though I absolutely love that story, Lola Rose was my favourite because it was adventurous from start to finish. I loved that the main character was on the run and got to change her entire life and that was something I always wanted to do; be someone else for bit and Lola Rose let me experience that!
3. Favourite adult book: A song of ice and fire: A storm of swords by George R. R. Martin. I’m a total sucker for extreme fantasy novels, a song of ice and fire series is one of my favourites ever! Martin’s writing ability to totally absorb a reader is absolutely life changing! I spent roughly 2 months reading books one to book four back to back. I’m a very fast reader so I basically devoured each an every book. A storm of swords is my favourite because of Jon and Yigrette. It was so romantic and I love a bit of romance between blood and guts!
4. Favourite song: This is an extremely hard choice to pick one song out of many, so I looked up on my itunes and showed my top ten most played songs. Surprisingly most are instrumental music, which shouldn’t be that surprising because I usually write to music. I prefer to write to music that has little to no added sounds, I find singing kinda distracting. I like music that is atmospheric and helps me create images!
5. Favourite album(s): I have a few so the first is Fefe Dobson debut album Fefe Dobson this album got me through secondary school. Jill Scott’s: Who is Jill Scott: world and sounds, this just reminds me of being young and carless and not having a worry in the world! Oh to be 8 years old again and listening to this album with my mum and sisters dancing, jamming in the kitchen! Kings of Leon’s: Aha shake heartbreak, this is my fav rock album by a band, OMG I can seriously tap my feet to this, dance, sing-a-long; come on– taper jean girl is such a classic song! Panic at the Disco- A fever you can’t sweat out, my gosh me and my mates knew nearly every song off-by-heart. It's pop, punk and rock, with lyrics that make you think 'hey what the hell did he just say?!?' And those ridiculously long song titles were just the cherry on the cake!
6. Favourite food: Pasta and Roti obviously not together but these two are absolutely yum! I love cooking a lil bit of Italian now and again– or all the time and well Roti I can only dream I could make one. However, I can make roti fillings which is actually not that hard.
7. Favourite designers: Acne, Alexander Wang and Vivienne Westwood, because if I had a few thousand pounds just sitting to be spent I’d definitely invest in something from those designers, taking that I could fit into something from them >o<
8. Favourite high-street brand: Asos, H&M, Topshop and River Island, I call these the fantastic four I love Topshop accessories, River Island clothes because they go up to size 18, H&M for cheap but cheerful clothes and shoes and Asos for really nice shoes and quirky tees.
9. Favourite Fashion Magazine: Nylon, Asos and Love. Nylon for finding great undiscovered artists, actors, music and books, Asos for always being diverse, because I adore seeing women of colour in fashion, and Love magazines for their avant-garde editorials that always leave me totally gobsmacked.
|asos and love magazine|
10. Favourite author: Malorie Blackman, she taught me that not everyone written in prose has to be white.
11. Favourite Films: Boy directed and written by New Zealand native Taika Waikiki, 12 years a slave directed by Steve McQueen and Clueless directed and written by Amy Heckerling. There are more movies for every genre, but I’d say these three are my all time faves! I will have to do another post on each genre!
12. Favourite Screenwriters: Neil Jordan and John Singleton. Niel Jordan movies always nearly have me in tears and that goes for the same for John Singleton. I highly recommend watching Boyz in the Hood (1991) and The Crying Game (1992).
13. Favourite Directors: Tim Burton for his dark twisted ways of depicting classic tales, come on Alice in Wonderland was creepy yet very entertaining.
14. Favourite singers/songwriters: Sia, Sade, Aaliyah, Patrick Watson and Melissa Kaplan. There is something magical about these singers and their music makes me feel a certain way or brings me to a place.
15. Favourite actresses: Whoppi Goldberg, Lupita Nyongo, Michelle Williams, Keira Knightley.
16. Favourite actors: Ryan Gosling, Idris Elba, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Christian Bale and River Phoenix.
17. Favourite TV shows: Skins (first gen), Misfits (seasons 1-2), game of thrones, Rome, The Fresh Prince, Ugly Betty, Daria, True Blood and As If. I would say I’m a bit of a TV buff, I watch a LOT of TV maybe a tad too much but I love a good gripping drama! Who doesn’t?
18. Favourite stylists: JAK aka Jessica and Kelly, Francesca Burns, Ty Hunter and Katie Grand.
19. Favourite Person: My mother, she is my hero she makes be believe that anything is possible!
20. Favourite Quote: ‘Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will’, I try to live by this because it’s relevant within trying to find work in the creative industries.
So there is it my long list of 20 things I love, what do you think about it? Do you think we have anything in common? Or do I make you cringe a bit? Don’t forget to tell me!